I work in a private medical center, which provides occupational health services for companies and their employees, besides providing general and specialist medicine services for customers. I work in occupational health as part of a multiprofessional team, where we are in charge of occupational health co-operation and of providing related services to the customers.
My work hours are flexible, and I schedule my work days, weeks, and year myself. My work day typically includes for example:
- Health checks of individual clients
- Work capacity discussions
- Health check-up visits
- Treatment referral controls related to alcohol or drug misuse
- Meetings with representatives of client companies in the companies or in medical center (For example planning co-operation activities or having reportage meetings)
- Workplace investigation visits, where we research conditions in the workplace and estimate their effects on individual’s health and well-being
- Different trainings and lectures targeted for work communities
- Participating in meetings of occupational safety committees
- Plenty of email communication with employees and companies
- Own trainings etc.
My days are very varying, and similar days are rare. I also work remotely from home around one day per week.
Variety, the possibility to influence on organising your own work, freedom with working hours, meeting different kinds of people.
The job includes lots of different work tasks and broad job responsibilities. I don’t like the occasional feeling of losing control related to them.
You can learn the skills with teamwork and experience. You also learn by reading current publications, by learning from other people and by communicating with them.